Sunday, May 20, 2012

Real Talent



You could step into a gopher hole if you translate the readings without checking the scripture from the index against a dictionary, Biblical commentary -- or Wikipedia.  I did that, recently.  I presumed the meaning of the word talent, but discovering its real meaning and its significance in the parable, and to Christian belief, was a valuable lesson.

I had gotten to 262.13, 8A:

(Q): [2124] In what way may I best obtain my ideal?
(A) It’s well that you know that the reward of a materialistic ideal is satisfaction, while the reward of a spiritual ideal is contentment. Then be content with what you have, and employ it with honor so that you bring praise and glory to your ideal; more and more will be provided you as long as you make proper use of what you have, for as the Master said,
So far, so good, I thought.  This is a pretty universal precept.
The Kingdom is like a man who, preparing for a journey, called his servants. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one talent.   As they worked, they obtained not approval, but understanding. They were rewarded for the quality of their effort.
This was odd.  I understood the notion of learning from my mistakes, or that failing at something makes me more determined to succeed.  But why withhold approval?
I read the scripture, Matt 25:14-30:
14"The kingdom of heaven is like a man going on a trip. He called his servants and entrusted some money to them. 15He gave one man ten thousand dollars, another four thousand dollars, and another two thousand dollars. Each was given money based on his ability. Then the man went on his trip. 16"The one who received ten thousand dollars invested the money at once and doubled his money. 17The one who had four thousand dollars did the same and also doubled his money. 18But the one who received two thousand dollars went off, dug a hole in the ground, and hid his master's money.

19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The one who received ten thousand dollars brought the additional ten thousand. He said, 'Sir, you gave me ten thousand dollars. I've doubled the amount.' 21"His master replied, 'Good job! You're a good and faithful servant! You proved that you could be trusted with a small amount. I will put you in charge of a large amount. Come and share your master's happiness.'

22"The one who received four thousand dollars came and said, 'Sir, you gave me four thousand dollars. I've doubled the amount.' 23"His master replied, 'Good job! You're a good and faithful servant! You proved that you could be trusted with a small amount. I will put you in charge of a large amount. Come and share your master's happiness.'

24"Then the one who received two thousand dollars came and said, 'Sir, I knew that you are a hard person to please. You harvest where you haven't planted and gather where you haven't scattered any seeds. 25I was afraid. So I hid your two thousand dollars in the ground. Here's your money!'

26"His master responded, 'You evil and lazy servant! If you knew that I harvest where I haven't planted and gather where I haven't scattered, 27then you should have invested my money with the bankers. When I returned, I would have received my money back with interest. 28Take the two thousand dollars away from him! Give it to the one who has the ten thousand!

29To all who have, more will be given, and they will have more than enough. But everything will be taken away from those who don't have much. 30Throw this useless servant outside into the darkness. People will cry and be in extreme pain there.'  (God's Word Translation, 1995)

Wow!  That's a little extreme!, I thought.   Chucking a guy into the dark because he kept your money safe?  What's wrong with this picture?! 

Enter Wikepedia, and Parable of the talents or minas

The lesson for Christians, Wikipedia says, is to "use their God-given gifts in the service of God, and to take risks for the sake of the Kingdom of God. . . Failure to use one's gifts, the parable suggests, will result in judgement."

I understood, finally.  Harsh, I thought, but I get it.  Had I not done some checking, a little rudimenatary research, my translation would have been easier to read, but unhelpful.  So humbled, I could restate EC's last sentence of 8A,

obtaining your ideal is making spiritual use of your resources first. The lesson is: seek the Kingdom first, and your needs will be provided,
to read:
obtaining your translation is making use of primary sources, first.  The lesson is, don't assume, do a little research, and understanding will result.
I've come to respect the rod.

Sunday, 5.20.12. 1:55PM

No comments:

Post a Comment