Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Diversion

Translating Cayce into plain English is hard work, but I’ve found a diversion that offers the excitement of discovery: I use the numbers that stand for people to make lists that I cross reference. The process helps breathe life into the numbers in brackets; I begin to see how ordinary they are, and how little difference there is between their problems and ours.

The lists I cross reference are: Numbers cited; Attendee names; Other names cited; Reading number and subject; Subject and reading number; and Readings by year.

I have to look out, though.  Just compiling these lists is time consuming, and the practice is compelling.  It can become an end in itself and a convenient excuse for not doing the more relevant work of translating.

No comments:

Post a Comment